Welcome to the online home of the 1940s Family, Arthur, Lily, Freddie and Martha Rose!
We love to attend vintage fairs, tea parties, photo shoots, ww2 events or probably any other events you can think of!!
If you would like us to attend yours please email us - the1940sfamily (at) hotmail.co.uk.
If you just want to know where we go and what we get up to, read on ......
Love Lily xxx
Save

Friday 30 December 2011

Christmas Fun - War On the Line Christmas Leave


Merry Christmas! I do hope you al had a good time and didn't eat too much! Luckily this year instead of overdoing the mince pies on Boxing Day,  we headed off to the Watercress Line, in Hampshire to their Christmas Leave event!A WWII leave event held on a heritage steam train line, what  more could we ask for!
We'd applied to go asreenactors a while ago so I've been busy over the past months, sourcing warm period clothes for a christmas event. I needn't had worried though, we were treated to unseasonably warm weather and I didn't even need a coat on the second day!
A good mix between reenactors and the general public, there was a great turn out! Everyone got into the mood, with  40s hits being played into the carriages and quite a few of us singing along. Arthur has already decided he'll be bringing his uke to the next one!

I am always impressed by others dressed up and had some serious clothes envy this time...I'm now trying to source a WWII nurses uniform!

The War on the Line is held twice a year and they have all ready started promoting the war on the line summer event, which we would really love to go back for.

I'll leave you with some photos from the day....




Strangely, I always feel at home on a train and could ride about on one all day! Getting in the car to go home always seems such a let down!

As usual we had plenty of games to keep us busy this one was the Coronation Scot game, our ticket collector had fond memories of playing this game when he was a small boy!


Dominoes is always a favourite too, and luckily noone was tempted to cheat....

Uh-oh freddie, you havent go a spare one in your pocket have you?


Luckily the copper had moved on when we met the lovely smart alec! The children both got a wartime kitkat (half their weekly ration allowance) and all it cost me was a kiss!!



I love all the railway posters and signs you find at these stations.... I think some will have to make their way onto our walls at home eventually!



ALRESFALRESFORD STATIONORD STATION
Alresford Station had a good display of vehicles and troops on parade as our great Prime Minister arrived







My only disappointment was I wasn't able to take many photos of the train.
I'll leave you with this one...





2 comments: